1st Online GIPF Puzzle Contest
Organization: GIPF Centre
Date: October 7 - 14 October
Read the rules
of the contest.
To the series of puzzles
that was put online at exactly 16:00 GMT on Sunday, October 7, 2001.
While putting the solutions
online on Sunday, October 14, a last answer form came in (Michael
Reitz is a Saint!), which brought the number of participants to
34. What to say about that number? We had hoped for minimally 30
participants. We passed that edge, but we had assumed a total of
50 to speak about a successful contest, and that we did not achieve.
Well, we are satisfied just the same.
To come to the results: one third (11 participants) found up to
3 correct solutions, another third (10) found 4 correct answers,
and the last third (11) came close with 5 correct answers. That
34 - 11 - 10 - 11 = 2! Indeed, just two participants succeeded in
finding all 6 solutions. Puzzle 5 appeared to be the hard nut to
crack. Quite a few had found a win for White in 6 moves, but there
was one in 5 moves, too, and only Arne Hoffmann (D) and Stephen
Tavener (GB) had seen it. Arne was the first to send us a completely
correct answer form (on Tuesday, October 9, at 00:04 h), so he's
the winner of the 1st online GIPF puzzle contest. Congratulations!
A DVONN prototype will be on its way one of the next days.
Congratulations to Stephen, too (his solutions reached us on Wednesday,
October 10 at 22:28). We wrote his name on a piece of paper and
an innocent hand drew him as the winner of the second prototype.
That left us with one last prototype - the winner to be drawn from
all the participants (expect the winners of the first two prototypes)
who sent in at least one correct solution. That resulted in 31 names
in a hat - and Boris Ammerlaan (NL) came out of it. Here
you are! And this ends the contest.
I thank all the participants for their cerebral efforts. We hope
that you all enjoyed it. We'll be back with another online GIPF
puzzle contest next year!
The participants with 6 correct solutions:
- Arne Hoffmann (D), October 9, 00:04
The participants with 5 correct solutions:
- Stephen Tavener (GB), October 10, 22:28
The participants with 4
- Patrick Van de Perre (B), 7 October, 20:28
- Dirk Monsiuer (B), October 8, 16:19
- Aksel De Meester (B), October 8, 18:01
- Angelo Wentzler (NL), October 10, 01:40
- Petra Golderer (D), October 11, 16:08
- H. Golderer (D), October 12, 10:38
- Rainer Elsässer (D), October 12, 16:40
- Rita Pauwels (B), October 12, 18:22
- Kurt Van den Branden (B), October 12, 18:43
- Ad Rovers (NL), October 13, 12:12
- Irmgard Elsässer (D), Octcober 14, 12:29
- Alan Kwan (HK), October 7, 22:09
- Uwe Lorenzen (D), October 8, 17:11
- Deborah de Bleyser (B), October 8, 18:27
- Roland Leimser (A), Octcober 13, 09:21
- Johan Delvaux (B), October 13, 18:04
- Alan Mertner (DAN), October 14, 8:09
- Boris Ammerlaan (NL), October 14, 12:17